Top 10 Driver Distractions Leading to Accidents
Many drivers forget that the action of driving is sensitive and requires drivers’ undivided attention, as they steer a speeding, heavy vehicle in crowded streets. Emergency Towing Oakland’s experts have compiled a list of the top 10 driver distractions that lead to accidents. Keep the following in mind to avoid unpleasant situations:
Top 10 Distractions
- Texting – when you text and drive your eyes are not on the road, regardless of what you might believe. This results in delayed reactions and dangerous situations.
- Using your cell phone – besides texting, speaking on your mobile and scrolling through your Facebook feed also takes your attention away from the road.
- Eating and drinking – like driving, eating is something you should do without distractions, as concentration is needed for digesting as well as for driving. You can spill your drink and get bits of sandwich in your lap, making you lose concentration.
- Talking to passengers – it may seem harmless, but when you are concentrated in a conversation, your mind and emotions may lead your focus off the road. That is not a good place to be while operating a vehicle.
- Grooming – straightening your tie, wearing makeup, or fixing your hair – how do you expect to drive well when you are concentrated in getting your looks straight?
- Reading, including maps – processing written information takes your sight off the road, in addition to getting your attention off it, too.
- Using a navigation system – be sure to prepare the route before starting the drive, so you won`t have to handle your GPS system while driving.
- Watching a video – save it for the movies. Watching a video while driving is absurd and needless to say, dangerous.
- Adjusting the radio, CD player, MP3 player – even if you stumble upon a bad song you simply can’t stand, be patient, it will end. Wait for a red light to press the button.
- Watching the view – the scenery may be lovely, but you should admire it in a static position.
That’s it! Drive safe!